GRAB 5 FREE SHED PLANS NOW !
Kerala Plum/Fruit Cake. This year's first cake is this Kerala plum cake from Omana Paul, a popular caterer and good friend of ours. I have also shared an eggless fruit cake recipe if that's what you are after. This tutti frutti cake is perfect for those who don't really like plum cakes or raisins.
This Kerala style plum cake is made without alcohol. I have made this cake both with fresh orange juice and apple juice on various occasions. Soak the dry fruits in either of the juice overnight in the fridge. You can have Kerala Plum/Fruit Cake using 17 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Kerala Plum/Fruit Cake
- It's 125 grams of Butter, softened.
- It's 110 grams of Caster sugar.
- You need 75 grams of Sugar for caramel syrup.
- You need 60 millilitres of water Hot.
- You need 2 of numbers Egg white.
- It's 2 of numbers Egg yolk.
- It's 150 grams of Plain flour.
- You need 1 teaspoon of Baking powder.
- Prepare 1/8 teaspoon of Salt.
- You need 1 teaspoon of Vanilla essence.
- You need 1 teaspoon of Lime juice.
- It's 1 teaspoon of Pineapple jam.
- It's 1 1/2 cups of dried fruits Mixed, chopped.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of Cashew nuts, chopped (lightly roasted).
- You need 60 millilitres of Dark rum.
- You need 1/2 tablespoon of Spice powder.
- It's 1/2 teaspoon of Orange peel, dried and powdered.
With orange juice, you need not worry as the cake does not become bitter. Kerala Plum Cake is a traditional fruit cake made in India for Christmas. This Indian version of the Christmas Fruit Cake is rich cake packed with dry fruits and nuts that are easily available in India. The preparation to make this cake starts even a month before Christmas.
Kerala Plum/Fruit Cake step by step
- Preheat oven at 180 °C for 15 minutes. Line base and sides of a deep 20 cm round cake pan with baking paper..
- Beat egg white until peek, keep aside..
- Beat butter and sugar in a bowl with electric mixer until soft and creamy..
- Add egg yolk, one at a time and beat until well combined. Add vanilla essence and lime juice. Add cool caramel syrup and mix well..
- Add sifted flour,baking powder and salt mixture along with egg white and fold well..
- Finally, fold in mixed dried fruits, cashew nuts, pineapple jam, spice powder, dried and powdered orange peel mixture..
- Spread the cake mixture into prepared pan. Bake for around 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool in pan..
- NOTES - Brush top of hot cake with extra rum, if desired..
- For mixed fruits i used a combination of raisins, glaced cherries, candied orange and lemon peel. Chop all the fruits into small pieces and soak them in dark rum for a period of minimum 1 week or until absorbed..
- To avoid sinking, dust the soaked fruits with some sifted flour and baking powder mixture before using..
- To make caramel syrup, combine sugar and little water in a sauce pan. When the sugar melts and becomes dark brown add 60 ml hot water. Melt completely and let it come to room temperature..
- Spice powder is a combination of cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, and dry ginger. Grind all the spices to a fine powder..
- To make dried and powdered orange peel, wash and peel the oranges and cut the peels into thin slices and spread it in a tray and keep under the sun for 3- 4 days, grind into a fine powder..
- For measuring mixed dried fruits and cashewnut i used 250 ml measuring cup..
- Have all the ingredients at room temperature especially butter and egg. Sift together the flour,baking powder and salt..
This cake is made with fruits that have been soaking in rum for few months or up to a year in advance. I get it a lot when a slight mention of my Kerala genes kicks in. 'Do you know how to make a plum cake?' they all ask. 'Yep,' I say 'and since I have eaten it all my life I am not a very big fan.' Kerala Plum Cake Anyone? I wish you all the peace and joy of the season! Here's to wishing you and your loved ones Merry Christmas and Joyful New Year! On popular demand by readers…once again Kerala Plum Cake - Christmas Fruit Cake.