Turn phonics practice into a fun filled hands on lesson with these first grade phonics activities.
How to teach phonics to first graders. Since so much of our schooling learning and daily activities involve reading phonics is a skill that kids need to learn early on in kindergarten and first grade. If by this stage they don t grasp phonics they might fall behind in their reading in 2nd 3rd and 4th grades. Teach with phonics skills chart. Early phonics instruction helps children to connect sounds with spelling making it easier for them to read and comprehend text. These games get kids moving and learning from digraph bingo in which kids comb the house to find digraph matches and letter sound hopscotch games that help kids jump into reading to beanbag letter toss or a consonant blend scavenger hunt which are both great activities for indoors or out. Even looking at the common core standards i think a teacher would almost have to teach phonics and phonemic awareness in order to reach those standards. Knowing how to teach phonics to first graders is especially essential. Phonics expert wiley blevins shares key phonics skills the approximate age most kids master them and illustrations of mastery all in an easy to read chart.
When planning to teach phonics to first graders remember it s important to continue polishing and expanding on these bits of knowledge. But for me my own theories and the district i teach in we teach phonics. Again i could be wrong because remember i don t have all the answers. You will find phonics worksheets videos games listening materials for teaching children to read through phonics reviewing short vowels reviewing beginning and ending consonants s blends consonant digraphs ch sh ph ck wh soft c soft g. Fuzzy on how to tell when a. You should review concepts that have already been taught and work on newer concepts that are about to be taught in the child s classroom. Read write think construct a word. Confused about the levels of phonics instruction.
This will make your child a stronger faster and more fluent reader. Use phonics games to help build kids decoding or sounding out skills. Not sure what kind of phonics activities you should start with. Make flashcards or write sight words on the board to help first graders begin to memorize these words. Since you ve likely already spent a good deal of time on basic phonics skills your child probably has a strong. To use phonics first graders don t have to sit silently pouring over. Teaching phonics isn t necessarily included in some of those theories.
GRAB 5 FREE SHED PLANS NOW !
- Africa Map Coloring Pages For Kids
- Agriculture Business Cards Templates Free
- Agumon Coloring Pages
- Ahsoka Coloring Pages
- Age Appropriate Chore List For Kids Printable
- African People Coloring Pages
- African Animal Printable Cutouts For Kids
- African Musical Instruments Coloring Pages
- African American Coloring Pages For Adults
- Afraid Girl Coloring Page
- Afro Cuban Dance Teacher Thank You Card Template
- Aha Healthcare Provider Card Template
- Agricultural Product Grader Sorter Jobs Coloring Pages
- African Violet Coloring Page
- Age 11 Adorable Coloring Pages For Girls
- Age 2 Activity Worksheets Free Printables
- African Penguin Coloring Page
- African American History Coloring Pages
- Agricultural Science Technician Jobs Coloring Pages
- Afr American Beauty Girl Coloring Pages